Tales of an Incurable Pessimist

Friday, January 14, 2011

Stereotypes

To talk about people, I like to start with stereotypes. I hate stereotypes - they're so fake.

Stereotypes, I find, are rarely true. We exist in an incredibly complicated environment and to deal with it we need shortcuts. We can't recognize and analyze all the aspects in each person or event we deal with each day. We haven't got the time or capacity. Instead, we usually use stereotypes, we classify things according to a few key features and respond mindlessly when one of these trigger features occurs. But there's SO much to every person. We can't judge them by these things, like fashion, gender, race or age etc. These things don't define a person, there's so much more then what meets the eye. I think that stereotypes are just like masks - it's easier to handle, to label people and ourselves. Stereotypes are usually rather narrow-minded, and people are usually complex. I think it's ridiculous that now people just label each other and that's that, there just can't be anymore to that person. People are so complicated. Why do we just shove them into a little box and slap a label on?

On to people. Well....I'm nice. I try to be nice to everyone no matter what. Plus, I have total confrontation issues so I can't really be mean. And I feel guilty so easily I just don't think my faint, little girly heart could handle the guilt if I was mean to someone.But the truth is I really don't like people my age. I never really fit in with them. I like different music (The Beatles, Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons, Noah and the Whale, Crowded House, Elton John, The Decemberists...the list goes on), different books, I have different opinions etc. I like some people but mainly I secretly just want to poison most of my classmates. I think I'd like them a lot more if they were themselves. It would be so much better, for everyone, if people stopped giving in to peer pressure and stopped following others like sheep. I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously. High school sucks. No one is brave enough to be themselves, its like 6 years of our life hiding behind a stranger.

And that's my rant for the day!

Peace, Tess. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment