Tales of an Incurable Pessimist

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Emoticons

I usually hate emoticons. And abbreviations, like 'lol' or 'omg'. Especially when people use them in real life - you're off the computer! There is no need to use those! You can just laugh. Or draw a regular smiley face. It's okay. You won't die.

I use about two emoticons: =] and ♥.

I don't know if the heart counts. Anyway, I use the smiley face because I'm a sort of sarcastic person. And by 'sort of' I mean very. But I'm not trying to be mean by being sarcastic so sometimes I add a smiley face in an attempt to show this. And I just like hearts. They're pretty.

And something that bugs me about 'lol'? You can say almost anything and then add 'lol' at the end - and the other person can't get mad at you! Because it was clearly just a joke! It's like writing "you suck. lol." Yeah....the 'lol' doesn't take away the insult. Another thing is that 'lol' has just become a place holder. Whenever I talk to someone online, it generally goes like this:

Me: Hi!
Other person: Oh, hi!
Me: How are you?
Other person: Good. How about you?
Me: I'm okay.
-PAUSE-
Other person: lol.

You know what I mean? That said, it doesn't make me like a person any less. It's okay when people use it online when their being genuine, like at a joke or if they say something that's actually funny. That's fine - just the above examples that annoy me. Okay, that's all.

Peace, Tess. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment